Apply for an on-licence

This licence allows the sale and supply of alcohol for drinking at the specified licensed premises, i.e. cafes, taverns and hotels. The area specified as licensed is defined on plans provided and may include outside areas.  

On-licences are issued for one year (a probation year) and then normally renewed for three years.

How to apply for an on-licence

Download application form

Download on-licence application(PDF, 247KB) form.

Certificate of Compliance

All alcohol licence applications require a  for the premises. You must include this with your application.


Please read the checklist on the form to make sure you include all the extra documents we need with your application. Incomplete applications will be returned.


If your application is complete, there are no objections and all building requirements are met, on-licences can normally be processed within four to six weeks.

This is an endorsed on-licence specific to restaurants which allow customers of the premises to bring their own alcohol and drink it at the premises while they are dining. See  which give you guidance on how to manage BYO in your restaurant.

The fees for processing your application are non-refundable and must be paid when you apply for your licence. View our Fees and Charges for more information.