COVID-19 novel coronavirus

Unite against Covid 19.jpg

1. How is Council responding to COVID-19?

Updated 22 September 2020:

Auckland is now in COVID-19 Alert Level 2, while the rest of the country is in COVID-19 Alert Level 1. 

Libraries, service centres, i-SITES and refuse transfer stations are displaying QR code posters so you can record your visit using the Ministry of Health COVID Tracer phone app. Go to the MOH website to download the app. You can also record your details when you visit to our facilities by using visitor sheets provided. 

2. Ministry of Health and Central Government resources

For updates, information and advice on COVID-19 from the Ministry of Health (MOH) go their website by clicking the green button below:

Go to MOH website

Go to the Government's offical COVID-19 website by clicking the green button below:

Go to Government Covid-19 website

3. Community testing centres

The Northland District Health Board (NDHB) has organised community testing centres across the region that people with symptoms can go to for testing (taking the load off medical practices and hospitals).

Go to NDHB wesbite

4. NZ COVID Tracer QR code and app

From midday Wednesday 12 August, all businesses must display a NZ COVID Tracer QR code so customers can record their visit to your business.

 It must be in a prominent place or near main entrances. To create your QR Code and posters, please visit:


 Retail businesses, including malls, markets and takeaway shops:

  • need to keep customers 2 metres apart
  • do not need to keep records of customers to enable contact tracing.

 There is no maximum number of customers allowed in a store, as long as they can keep 2 metres apart at all times.

 Services can also be provided on customers’ premises, for example, cleaning and home help.


For dine-in customers, restaurants, cafes and bars must:

  • have customers seated
  • keep groups of attendees separated 1 metre apart
  • have a single server per group, where practical
  • keep records of all customers and workers to enable contact tracing.

 People can order and collect from a counter, except for on-licence and club-licence premises.

Businesses can operate with defined, separated areas. The 100-person maximum applies per area, as long as intermingling in common spaces, like entrances, exits and toilets, can be prevented. This also applies to separate businesses that operate from the same location.

If you have questions about your food business registration or alcohol license conditions, please contact an Environmental Health Officer by calling the Council on 0800 92 029.

This page will be updated regularly. Please also monitor the Government COVID-19 website for changes to Alert Levels. 

5. Ways to pay council remotely

Updated 29 April 2020:

 This page details ways you can make payments for non-rates or water invoices without having to come into one of our service centres. For rates and water invoice payments click hereWe understand you may need to pay for other services, like licences and building consents.


Online/Direct credit

For pensioner housing accounts:

Account Name: Far North District Council
Bank: ASB Bank, Corporate Branch, Auckland
Account Number: 12-3244-0022509-03

For any other payments, e.g. dog registration or parking infringements:

Account Name: Far North District Council
Bank: ASB Bank, Corporate Branch, Auckland
Account Number: 12-3244-0022509-00

For dog registrations and parking infringements, use the registration or infringement number. For all other accounts, please use the customer number provided on the statement

International Money Transfers

Account Name: Far North District Council
Bank: ASB Bank, Corporate Branch, Auckland
Account Number: 12-3244-0022509-00
ASB Swift Code: ASBBNZ2A

By post

Send any cheques to Private Bag 752, Kaikohe, 0440.

By phone

  • You can pay Council over the phone with a credit/debit card for any of our services. You will need a credit card number, expiry date, and 3-digit security code. Please ensure you have your invoice number available when you call us.
  • You can also phone your bank and ask them to process the payment for you.