Apply for a Special Licence for events

This allows for the sale or drinking of alcohol at events. It is normally used to temporarily extend the hours or the area of a premise currently licensed, or to licence one-off events where no licence is currently held.  A Special Licence is valid for the particular event, or series of linked events, or social gathering, specified in the licence.

To help you determine what kind of Special Licence you will require, use the following flow chart.

How to apply

Step 1.Do I need a special licence?

A Special Licence may be required if alcohol is part of your event e.g. if alcohol is being sold, or if your event is ticketed, whether cover charge, donations, payment for a meal, etc. and alcohol is consumed at the event. 

Step 2.Download application form

Special Licence application form(PDF, 778KB)

Step 3.Multiple events

If you wish to apply for a number of events on one application, these events must be linked in some way, e.g. a series of related meetings; a series of related match dates for a club's sports season.

Step 4.Submit 20 working days before event

Applications must be lodged at least 20 working days before the date of the event. Applications received outside this deadline may not be accepted by the District Licensing Committee (DLC) for consideration.

Submit your form by mail to:

The Secretary
District Licensing Committee
Far North District Council
Private Bag 752
Kaikohe 0440


The fees for processing your application are non-refundable and must be paid when you apply for your licence. View our Fees and Charges for more information.


Short notice applications (less than 20 working days before the event date) must be accompanied by a letter explaining the reason for lateness for District Licensing Committee (DLC) consideration. You need to have a good reason as the Act refers to the reason for the lateness "could not reasonably have been foreseen earlier". 

If your reason for lateness is not accepted by the DLC your application will not proceed further. Application fees are non-refundable.

Three statutory reporting agencies have the role of making inquiries, assessing and reporting on applications. The Act give both the Police and Medical Officer of Health 15 working days to report before your application can be referred to the DLC for consideration and a decision.

You do not need a special licence when you are supplying alcohol or guests are bringing their own alcohol to a private event, as long as it is not open to the public.

This only applies to a private event where a family occasion is celebrated in a hired venue and guests bring their own alcohol or the host supplies it for free.

We can't issue a licence for BYO events.