Manager's Certificates

1. Overview

A manager’s certificate allows you to manage any licensed premises such as an on-licence, off-licence, club licence or special licence and includes conveyances such as aircraft and motor vessels. 

When alcohol is being sold or supplied to the public on licensed premises there must be a duty manager on duty at all times. They must hold a current Manager's Certificate. It is their job to make sure the premises comply with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and the conditions of the alcohol licence.

Once your manager's certificate is issued, your employer needs to complete a Notification of Duty Manager Appointment or Change form and return it to the Council and Police, to formally appoint you as a Duty Manager for your place of work so that you can then work as a duty manager for that premises.

2. Licensed Controller Qualification

Before applying for a Manager's Certificate you must have attended and passed an alcohol licensing course. You must then apply for a License Controller Qualification (LCQ) certificate.

LCQ courses must be provided by a recognised training provider that offers New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) unit standards 4646 and 16705. These unit standards are under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. LCQ courses and certificates completed under the Sale of Liquor Act 1989 can no longer be accepted.  

Once you have completed a LCQ training course that references the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and passed the required units you can apply to ServiceIQ for your document.

You will need to send them evidence that you have:

  • passed NZQA unit standards 4646 and 16705, or
  • successfully completed the LCQ bridging test prior to February 2017.

ServiceIQ will post the LCQ document directly to you as the applicant.

Contact ServiceIQ 0800 863 693 or email

LCQ certificates issued before January 2014 - Bridging Test

If you hold a LCQ certificate that references the Sale of Liquor Act 1989 obtained prior to January 2014, you will need to update it to reference the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. This was previously achieved by completing a Bridging Test provided by ServiceIQ, but is no longer available. You will now have to attend a LCQ course that references the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, pass the required units and apply for a new LCQ Certificate from ServiceIQ.

No Manager's Certificate application will be accepted without the above requirement being met.

3. Apply for a manager's certificate

A manager’s certificate is issued for 12 months. Renewals are issued for three years (if you do not come to the attention of the agencies).

If you have your Licensed Controller Qualification (LCQ) you can download and complete a Manager's Certificate application form(PDF, 255KB).

Send your completed application form, documents, and fee payment to:

Far North District Council
Alcohol Licensing Team
Private Bag 752
Kaikohe 0400

Incomplete applications may be returned.

4. Renew your manager's certificate

It is your responsibility to make sure you apply to renew your Manager's Certificate before it expires. If your certificate expires you will need to apply for a new Manager's Certificate.

Download and complete a Manager's Certificate (Renewal)(PDF, 167KB) application form.

Along with your application form, you will also need to complete and attach a renewal questionnaire.

If your records are on file within the Far North District you will be sent a renewal application form, questionnaire, and invoice before your certificate expires. This will be sent to the last postal address the Council’s Alcohol Licensing Team has for you.

It is your responsibility to make sure your renewal application (which must also include the completed questionnaire and fee payment) is received on time. You must be currently employed and working at a licensed premises, or actively seeking looking for work in the industry (e.g. temporarily in between jobs)

Working as a Duty Manager
Separate from you certificate renewal, please double check with your employer that they have maintained a record of your Duty Manager Appointment for your place of work.

Your Manager's Certificate cannot be renewed after it has expired. If your certificate expires, you will need to apply for a new one and your application will be dealt with as a new application. All application fees are non refundable.

If you have received a conviction since your Manager's Certificate was last renewed or issued, the Alcohol Licensing Inspector and Police may require a shortened renewal period and/or a suspension of your licence.

5. Duty Manager Appointment or Change

Licensees must notify Council's Alcohol Licensing Team and the Police of any appointments, cancellations and terminations of duty managers within 48 hours. They must also keep records of all duty managers at their premises for at least two years.

Notice of duty manager appointment or change(PDF, 121KB)

No one under the age of 20 can be appointed as a duty manager of licensed premises.

Details on how to complete the form are provided below. It's preferable to complete the form online or you can download a copy and email it to the Council's Alcohol Licensing Team and the Police.

Complete the form online

Expand all

Collapse all

Notifying duty manager appointments or changes

A licensee must give notice of the appointment, cancellation or termination of any permanent, temporary or acting duty manager, within 48 hours of the appointment to both the Council’s Alcohol Licensing Team and the Police.

The name of the duty manager must always be displayed on the licenced premises when they are working as the duty manager. The duty manager is responsible for compliance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, the conditions of the licence and the conduct of the premises.

Permanent Duty Managers

If you have just employed a person who already has their manager’s certificate or have a staff member who just gained their managers certificate and you wish to use then regularly or on a permanent basis as a duty manager then you need to complete the Permanent Certificate Holding Manager section of the form.

If you end the employment of a certified manager you must complete the Termination / Cancellation of Existing Manager Appointment section of the form.

Temporary Managers

If you want to appoint a staff member as a permanent duty manager, but currently who does not hold a managers certificate, you must complete the Temporary Managers section of the form. They must then lodge an application for a manager’s certificate within two working days with the Council’s Alcohol Licensing Team.

If they do not lodge an application their appointment as a temporary manager is null and void. Once they are issued with their new general managers certificate their Duty Manager appointment can then be made a permanent appointment. 

There is no need to notify the two organisations if the temporary manager will be in the role for less than 48 hours.

Acting Managers

You can appoint an acting manager when the manager is ill, absent or on annual leave for a period of no more than three weeks at any one time and for a maximum accumulated period of six weeks within a 12 month period.

This person does not need to apply for a manager’s certificate. 

There is no need to notify the two organisations if the acting manager will be in the role for less than 48 hours.

User Guide for Duty Manager Form

We've created a User Guide [PDF, 135 KB] to assist you with any questions you might have about information to include when completing and submitting a Duty Manager Form. If you still have questions after reading this guide email

Keeping records

As the Licensee you must keep a record of information for each manager (full managers, acting managers, and temporary managers) at your premises.