Kerbside rubbish and recycling collection
Kerbside rubbish and recycling collection is available to many Far North residents provided by two privately operated companies:
What services are provided?
The companies decide what level of service they provide, what areas are serviced, how much is charged and what they will collect for recycling.
- Northland Waste offers kerbside rubbish and recycling services in the northern part of the district.
- Both Northland Waste and Waste Management offer kerbside rubbish services in some areas of the of the southern part of the district.
- Only Waste Management offers kerbside recycling in the southern part of the district.
Who will collect my recycling?
Where services for northern and southern areas overlap, residents will need to contact Northland Waste and Waste Management directly to clarify which recycling services they can use.
- Collections are user pays. The collection and disposal fee is included in the price of the pre-paid rubbish bag, stickers and tags for the recycling bins.
- What bags do I buy? Waste collectors have different coloured bags, stickers or recycling tags. You can buy these from your local supermarket, petrol station or dairy. Contact either Northland Waste or Waste Management for more details.
- When is my collection? There are weekly, kerbside collections of prepaid rubbish bags and recycling bins in towns and main centres.
- Monday: Ahipara, Waipapakauri Beach, Paparore Kaimaumau, Waiharara, Russell, Rawhiti.
- Tuesday: Taupo Bay (fortnightly), Mangonui, Hihi, Cable Bay, Coopers Beach, Taipa, Totara North, Paihia, Opua, Kawakawa, Moerewa, Ohaeawai, Waitangi.
- Wednesday: Whatuwhiwhi, Mangamuka, Broadwood, Panguru, Kohukohu, Pampuria, Awanui, Herekino, Kaikohe, Ngawha Springs, Okaihau.
- Thursday: Kaitaia Te Hapua, Kerikeri.
- Friday: Waipapa, Te Tii, Opito Bay, Skudders Beach. Contact either Northland Waste or Waste Management for more information.
- What time should I put my rubbish out? Rubbish should go out after 12 noon the day before your collection and before 7am on collection day.
- Pre-paid rubbish bags can only be left outside your own property or at an approved collection point. See approved collection points for locations. The list of collection points attached refers to the intersection of the two streets listed.
- Rural pre-paid collections: Some rural residents need to leave pre-paid bags at approved collection points because the waste collectors don’t collect from their road.
- The maximum weight of pre-paid bags is 10kg. Rubbish bags should not contain more than 20% recyclables, 20% food waste and no greenwaste (unless they are listed pest plants).
Last updated 07 September 2021