Call 0800 347 787 to make a noise complaint. An operator will ask for details of your complaint and send out an officer.  

What can be considered 'excessive noise' depends on the time of day and other circumstances. Deciding what is excessive noise is up to the Noise Control Officer.

If the noise is an alarm, please first look on the building for an Alarm Response number to call. Council officers and contractors cannot enter a property to stop the alarm, only the police can do that.

Council cannot assist with noise complaints related to:

  • Noisy vehicles - contact the police
  • Aircraft noise - contact the airport

Excessive Noise Directions

An Excessive Noise Direction (END) is a notice served by a Noise Control Officer. Once an END has been served, the offending noise must immediately be reduced to a reasonable level. The END notice remains in force for 72 hours. If council receives more complaints of excessive noise within 72 hours of the END being issued, police can seize noisy equipment (the Noise Control Officer cannot make seizures without the police). Properties that have received several END notices will be monitored by council. Council may take further action, such as issuing warning letters, confiscate equipment and serve an Abatement Notice.

Abatement Notices

An Abatement Notice is a formal legal document served after several Excessive Noise Directions (END’s) have been issued to a property. Once an Abatement Notice has been served, and another justified noise complaint is received, the noisy equipment can be seized immediately.

Noise Infringements

Council may issue infringement notices for repeat offenders. Two of these infringement offences are:
• Not complying with an excessive noise direction notice
• Not complying with an abatement notice for noise.