Land Information Memorandum (LIM)


A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a Council document that provides information held by that Council on a specific property.

It is recommended that the customer obtain a Land Information Memorandum (LIM) on a property before they complete their purchase, as it could disclose information that might influence their purchase decision. Anyone can obtain a LIM.

What will a LIM tell me?

A LIM can only provide information that the council has on its records. The Council may not have all the information required to make a sound decision about purchasing the property, therefore the customer should inspect the site and also get expert opinion on the property. A LIM will contain all or any of the following, as applicable:

  • Official address, legal description, and unit/flat number as appropriate.
  • Special land features or characteristics including known hazards i.e. potential for erosion, slippage, subsidence or flooding.
  • Private and public stormwater and sewerage (wastewater) drains as shown in the council records.
  • Rates information i.e. annual rates payable and rates outstanding on the property.
  • Water account information, including outstanding amounts.
  • Planning information - any resource consents or requisitions affecting the land, and information on zonings and designations. Information relating to the use to which the land may be put and conditions attached to that use.
  • Health information - any licences, registrations or requisitions e.g. for food premises, health facilities etc.
  • Subdivision and developments - any known developments.
  • Building - any building consents/permits, code compliance certificates, existence of a swimming pool.
  • Kiwi distribution zones mapped by the Department of Conservation.
  • Information given to the council about the land or buildings and/or site designations imposed by any statutory body i.e. Historic Places Trust.
  • Any other information that the council considers (at its discretion) to be relevant.

A LIM will not provide full details of building restrictions applying to a site. If the customer is intending to buy a property for development, the proposal should be checked against the rules of the District Plan. The Council cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information held on its files. Any queries or concerns should be discussed with a Council Building Officer or Resource Planner and appropriate independent professional advice sought.

Do I need a LIM and how do I get one?

A LIM is optional. However, if the customer is considering purchasing a property, we strongly recommend that they obtain a LIM before finalising the purchase. The customer may find a LIM useful, for example, in helping them to decide whether the property is free from any restrictions and whether the intended use of the land is feasible.

For more information on how to apply for a LIM, click here.

The statutory timeframe to issue a LIM is 10 working days.  The exception, is that the days in the period from 20th December in any year to 10th of January in the following year are not "working days" in relation to the statutory period within which Land Information Memoranda must be issued.

Cost and processing

Please refer to our Fees and charges  for LIM costs. Payment must be made with your application. Where extensive research is required, you can incur a research fee. This charge is in addition to the prescribed LIM fee. 

Why is there no record of inspections?

Not all building records will have a record of inspections. Recent building covered by a Building Consent will have an inspection record but, prior to that, Building Permits were used and local authorities were not required to file records of progress inspections. Because of this, there was no basis on which to assess or undertake a final inspection. For this reason, the Council does not do inspections on existing buildings. If you want to have the building inspected for your peace of mind, you need to employ an independent building consultant to carry out an inspection at your own cost.

Building work not finalised

Usually a Building Officer has either:

  • attempted to make the final inspection, but there was no access to the building work. In this case another inspection can be booked.
  • made the final inspection but there are matters outstanding. In this case the building work cannot be signed off.