x__32__fill__social media twitter voice record__64__outline__user profile avatar contact person volume sound users member human speaker record voice recorder speach speak apartment__64__fill__building home house hotel apartment property flat residence

Total Mobility

What is Total Mobility?

Total Mobility makes it easier for people who can’t drive to get out and about in the Far North district. You may be eligible to receive a 50 per cent subsidy (up to a maximum of $15) on door-to-door transport with one of our approved transport operators. The scheme uses an electronic swipe card system.

If you:

  • Have a lasting impairment (six months or more)
  • Live in the Far North district You may be eligible for Total Mobility assistance

Total Mobility Far North is administered by Northland Regional Council, with funding from the Far North District Council and Waka Kotahi (NZ Transport Agency).

Where can I go?

In the Far North district, the Total Mobility card can be used for travel within the district, where there is an approved transport operator available. You are also able to use your card in other parts of New Zealand where there is a Total Mobility Scheme. Contact Northland Regional Council if you’d like more information about this.

How do I use the Total Mobility Card?

  • When arranging transport, let the phone operator know if you need a wheelchair hoist
  • Show your card to the driver and swipe it at the start of every trip to receive your 50 per cent discount (otherwise you’ll have to pay the full fare)
  • Pay the driver your 50 per cent share of the fare when your ride has ended

Level of subsidy

While the scheme aims to provide a subsidy of 50 per cent per trip, this covers only actual travel time. Waiting time is not subsidised.

Getting a Total Mobility Card?

You need a current Total Mobility card to qualify for the 50 per cent subsidy. To get a card, you need to be assessed by Northland Regional Council, and provide a recent photograph and your contact details, so a card can be produced for you. If you lose your Total Mobility card, report it to the council as soon as possible.

Other conditions of use

A caregiver/support person can travel with the holder of the card if s/he so wishes. No one else is entitled to use the card.

Your local transport operators

You can use your Total Mobility card with the following transport operator in the Far North: Driving Miss Daisy 09 407 9889

Need more information?

If you have any questions about Total Mobility, please contact the Total Mobility Coordinator at the Northland Regional Council on 0800 002 004 or visit https://www.nrc.govt.nz/transport/total-mobility

Last updated: 02 Apr 2024 4:33pm