x__32__fill__social media twitter voice record__64__outline__user profile avatar contact person volume sound users member human speaker record voice recorder speach speak apartment__64__fill__building home house hotel apartment property flat residence

Building guidance notes

  • Alteration or subdivision of an existing building

    Consent requirements when making an alteration to an existing building, extending its specified intended life, or subdividing an existing building.
  • Change of use

    If a building is going to be used for a different purpose to its original intended use, you need to notify Council.
  • Commercial and industrial building

    Overview of requirements, including compliance schedules, specified systems, and Fire and Emergency NZ (FENZ) consent.
  • Certificate for Public Use (CPU)

    Public premises can only be occupied if a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) has been issued or a CPU is in place.
  • Compliance Schedules and BWOFs

    Some commercial, industrial or communal buildings require a compliance schedule (list of specified systems) and a building warrant of fitness.
  • Natural hazards

    Identifying and addressing natural hazards in relation to your building project.
  • Producer statements

    A producer statement is a professional opinion based on sound judgment and specialist expertise.
  • Swimming pool fencing

    The requirement to install barriers around pools is covered by the Building Act
  • Other legislation

    Resource Management Act 1991, Fire and Emergency Act 2017, Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga Act 2014, Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 19
  • Specified life of a building

    An owner of a building must give written notice to the Council if it proposes extending the life of the building.
  • Illegal buildings

    All buildings must have a building consent prior to construction, unless exempt.

Last updated: 02 Apr 2024 4:21pm