x__32__fill__social media twitter voice record__64__outline__user profile avatar contact person volume sound users member human speaker record voice recorder speach speak apartment__64__fill__building home house hotel apartment property flat residence

Renew your manager's certificate

If you are applying for an On, Off or Club alcohol licence, you must have a certified Duty Manager who has both a Licence Controller Qualification and a Manager’s Certificate.

Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ)

To apply for or renew a Manager's Certificate, a Licence Controller qualification must be held.

  • The Licence Controller qualification covers two unit standards.  Successfully completing these unit standards demonstrates knowledge of:
    • The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and its implications for licensed premises.
    • Host responsibility requirements as a duty manager of licensed premises.

Find Licence Controller Qualification Training Providers

Apply for a certificate

To apply for a Manager’s Certificate you must:

  • Have a Licence Controller Qualification.
  • Be 20 years or older.
  • Have at least six months full-time experience working in a licensed premises selling alcohol in New Zealand.

Complete renewal form

Complete the renewal of manager's certificate application form here and submit it to us.

You must include the following:

  • A copy of your existing Manager's Certificate
  • A copy of your Licence Controller Qualification
  • If applicable, a copy of your Licence Controller Qualification Bridging Test certificate (if your Licence Controller Qualification refers to the 1989 Act).

Pay application fee

An application fee of $316.25 (includes GST) applies.

Submit application and fee

You can submit your application and application fee, by post, email or in person.

Applications can be posted to:

Far North District Council

District Licensing Committee

Attention: Secretary

Private Bag 752

Kaikohe, 0440

Send us an email:


Applications can be dropped off at any Council Office or Service Centre.

Pay by cash, eftpos or credit card.

A certified manager must be on duty at all times when alcohol is being sold or supplied to the public. If the certified manager is ill, absent, dismissed or has resigned, a licensee can formally appoint a temporary or Acting Manager.

You are legally required to give us notice of the appointment, or termination of the appointment, of any manager, Temporary Manager, or Acting Manager.

Notice must be given within 48 hours of the appointment or termination being made.

It is not necessary to notify us if the appointment will not exceed 48 hours, however it is recommended that such appointments are recorded in a daybook, or log book, along with the reason for the appointment.

Complete a s231 Notice to notify us of the management change.

You must hold a register (list) of all the certificated managers, acting managers or temporary managers you use at your premises. This must be available for Police or Inspectors to view at all times. You can create your own register or utilise the template available on the Alcohol.org.nz website Alcohol.org template

Last updated: 05 Apr 2024 2:35pm