Housing for the elderly

How to apply

Council Housing for the Elderly units are offered with a priority being possible tenants who are over the age of 60 and receiving benefit.

Applicants who own property may not qualify for the Housing for the Elderly units.

If you are interested in applying for a unit, please read the policy(PDF, 206KB) and complete the Housing for the Elderly application form(PDF, 180KB). These can be returned to Council at any of our Service Centres or by post.

Once complete, drop it off at a Council Service Centre or post it to us. The Housing for the Elderly team will review the application and contact you.

Housing for the Elderly applications will be assessed against the following criteria:

  • Housing Need
  • Health Factors
  • Inability to arrange alternative housing
  • Age grouping
  • Financial situation

Our properties

Room type and weekly rent

  • Single bedroom units: $116.90 or $120.10 for units with bigger separate bedrooms.
  • Couples: $124.10
  • Bedsits: $111.60

Council has Housing for the elderly in the following areas: 

 Area Description
 Ahipara Six one-bedroom units 
 Awanui Twelve one-bedroom units
 Horeke Two one-bedroom units
 Kaikohe Two one-bedroom units
Thirty-six bedsit units
 Kaitaia Oxford Street: Twenty-six one-bedroom units
Puckey Ave: Twenty-two one-bedroom units
 Kawakawa Six one-bedroom units
 Kerikeri Four one-bedroom units
Three bedsit units
 Kohukohu  Six one-bedroom units
 Omapere Six two-bedroom units
Two one-bedroom units
One three-bedroom unit
 Rawene Six bedsit units
Four one-bedroom units
 Waima Three one-bedroom units

Questions and answers

How do I apply for a housing for the elderly Unit?

They can also be posted, emailed or picked up from any Council Service Centre. Please complete the Application form and return to the Council.

Once I have applied how long do I have to wait?

The length of time an applicant has to wait may vary. This depends on whether there is a vacancy in the preferred area and also on the assessment of the application. If a vacancy arises, all applications on the waiting list for the area are assessed by the Tenancy Support Officer and/or an appropriate Council Manager. The applicant is notified of the vacancy and an interview is set up. If the Tenancy Support Officer and/or Council Manager are satisfied with the interview, the applicant is offered the unit.

An inspection of the unit takes place and the offer is accepted by the applicant. At this time a Tenancy Agreement is drawn up, noting any flaws in the Unit. A tenancy start date is agreed upon, and the Tenancy Agreement is signed by both parties. A bond of four weeks rental plus two weeks rental in advance must be received before the keys are handed over. A bond lodgement form must be signed by both parties as well.

What is my correct account balance?

Please contact us and ask for the Tenancy Support Officer who will be able to give you this information.

How much notice do I have to give before moving out?

As per the Tenancy Agreement, the Tenant must give three weeks written notice to the Council for intention to terminate the Tenancy.

What happens to my Bond?

The bond is receipted to a Council Bond holding account and is then transferred to the Tenancy Services Bonds Centre. The Bond Centre sends a written confirmation that they have received the bond to both the Council and the tenant. If the tenant terminates the Tenancy, the Bond will only be refunded if:

  • The unit is left in a satisfactory condition and;
  • The Tenant's Debtor Account is clear and there are no arrears owing.

For security reasons I wish to have a monitored security system installed, what do I do?

A written request for any installations or alterations must be passed to the Housing for the Elderly staff - include all details and a diagram of any work to be carried out. If the request is granted by Council, the tenant is responsible for any costs associated with the installation/alterations. On termination of the Tenancy, the tenant must remove all installations/alterations and return the Unit back to its original state at their own cost, unless prior written arrangements have been made between the tenant and Housing for the Elderly staff.

I have received a "14 days to remedy letter". What do I do?

These are letters that are sent to Tenants that have missed a rental payment or breached the Tenancy Agreement. Please contact us and ask for the Tenancy Support Officer to make an arrangement to remedy your account or breach.

I have tried to get the power connected but the power company say they have no record of the unit in their system. What do I do?

Please contact us and ask for the Tenancy Support Officer. The power company may not have the correct street address for the property and Council staff will provide them with the ICP number for the unit.

I have tried to get the power connected but the power company say that I need a Code or Certificate of Compliance. What do I do?

The power company requires a Code or Certificate of Compliance for a unit if it has been vacant for six months or more. Contact the Tenancy Support Officer who will organise for an Electrician to check power outlets and to issue the certificate. The certificate is usually stored in the main switchboard for the power company to  sight.

Who do I see if I have a fault?

All requests for repairs or other work must be lodged on the Council's Request for Service (RFS) system. Phone 0800 920 029 or 09 401 5200 if calling from a mobile and speak to one of our Customer Services Officers. The Customer Services Officer will log an RFS which will be forwarded to the Housing for the Elderly staff. The Housing for the Elderly staff will prioritise all requests.

Any contractors that are hired by the Tenant without the consent of Housing for the Elderly staff must be paid by the Tenant. Council will not accept any responsibility for making payment for any unauthorised works undertaken.

Can I bring my pet with me?

Tenants are allowed to keep one cat and are subject to the following conditions:

  • A $50 pet bond to be paid to the Far North District Council. The cat must be neutered or spayed
  • The cat must wear a flea collar
  • Any maintenance required to the unit which is caused by the cat is the responsibility of the tenant and will be deducted from the Cat Bond and/or the Tenancy Bond, if necessary.
  • In the event of the tenant becoming ill, the tenant shall make arrangements for the wellbeing of the cat.

Neighbourly disputes

Council staff will not get involved in personal disputes between neighbours. If a complaint of unacceptable behaviour by a tenant is received by Council, the complaint will be followed up and may result in a formal warning to the tenant. If the behaviour continues, it may result in the termination of the tenancy of the offender. No loud music or loud parties will be permitted within the Housing for the Elderly complexes. If there is concern for the safety of any other tenant, contact the tenant's family or caregiver, or the Housing for the Elderly staff or if more appropriate, contact the Police. 

Last updated 03 March 2022