Food premises

Food Control Plan update

Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has updated the 'Simply Safe and Suitable' template for Food Control Plans (FCP).  Businesses using this template must be using the new versions of the cards listed below by 30 June 2023.

  • Separating food 
  • Knowing what’s in your food 
  • Packaging and labelling 
  • Recalling your food. 

If relevant to your business, the cards listed below must also to be in use.

  • Managing self-supply water 
  • Using acid to control bugs 
  • Making sushi 
  • Hot smoking to control bugs 

Businesses must fully transition to the full updated plan by 20 February 2024  

How can you get updated cards and plans for your business?

  • Download individual cards and the full plan from the MPI website here.
  • Request a hardcopy by emailing Please note the council has limited copies to distribute.
  • Purchase a full plan from True North, the MPI portal.

General information

The Food Act 2014 (The Act) requires all businesses selling food to register, unless they fit into a small group of exemptions.

The Act is a risk-based system of food safety controls.

Find out the food safety rules you need to follow when making or selling food. 

Which risk-based measure is your business?

Your business will be one of the following:

All food sold or traded must be safe and suitable.
Please ensure your premises meets building and planning requirements before lodging your food registration application form.

Registration, verification and fees

The application process

Step 1.Apply

Complete the application form and scope of operations

Scope of Operation – you will only need to provide one of these scopes as per the rules for the business you are operating:

Payment of the application application fee must accompany your application.  The application fees are as follows:

Food Control Plan   $310.00
National Programme   $250.00

Step 2.Your Registration Certificate

Your application will be processed and once it has been approved we will then issue a Registration Certificate for your food business. This will be sent to you via email or post.

Step 3.Initial Verification

Within six weeks of registering your food business, we will contact you to arrange a suitable date and time to carry out initial verification.

To ensure food safety in the Far North District is of a high standard, Councils Food Verification Agency (FVA) is committed to providing high quality food verification services to customers with integrity, manaakitanga and professionalism and in accordance with the Food Act 2014; Food Regulations 2015 and any other relevant legislation. Here is a link to the Councils FVA “Quality Assurance Policy”.

After the verification has taken place you will be sent an invoice for the verification.

The fee for verification is as follows:
Food Control Plan   $542.50
National Programme   $387.50

National Programme businesses may choose either an independent verifier or Council's verifier to carry out an audit. Either way, you still need to register. 

If you use an independant verifier, please ensure you provide a copy of your contract agreement.

Step 4.Registration Renewal

Food Control Plans are renewed annually, National Programmes bi-annually. We will send you an invoice to renew your registration which must be paid before your registration expiry date. Should your registration lapse, you will be required to re-register.

You will receive your renewed Registration Certificate once payment has been received.

Step 5.Future verifications

You can find out due date for next verification from your EHO or your verification report. You will be invoiced once the verification has been completed.

Step 6.Re-visits

If you require a re-visit, there may be extra fees. Fees include travel time and administration costs.

If your EHO finds problems with your food safety, you will be verified more frequently.

Apply by post

Far North District Council

Attention: Environmental Health Services

Private Bag 752, Memorial Ave

Kaikohe 0440

Apply in person

Your application can be dropped off to any Council Office or Service Centre.

Apply by email

Your application can be sent via email to .

Apply online

Step 1.Food Control Plan

Before you start you will need:

  • Completed Scope of Operations form
  • Copy of Company Extract (if applying in a company name)
  • Site Plan of the business location
  • Floor Plan of the building

NOTE: Once your application is submitted you will receive an invoice for payment.


Step 2.National Programme

Before you start you will need:

  • Completed Scope of Operations form
  • Copy of Company Extract (if applying in a company name)
  • Site Plan of the business location
  • Floor Plan of the building
  • Copy of a confirmation letter from the verifying agency (if not the Far North District Council)

NOTE: Once your application is submitted you will receive an invoice for payment.




If you are selling food to raise funds, or for charity, it must be safe and suitable. That means, it must be safe to eat - no one should get sick from eating your food.

Under the Act:

You don't have to register if you are selling food:

  • To raise funds for charity, cultural or community groups less than 20 times per year provided by members of sports clubs, social clubs or maraes - where food is not the purpose of the event
  • Once in a calendar year at an event such as a local fair.

You do have to register if you are:

  • Fundraising more than 20 times per year
  • Catering events at clubs, or selling food at club bars or restaurants
  • Bartering or exchanging food commercially selling food commercially at fairs, markets, or community events more than once per year.

If you are making any structural changes to the existing building, you may require a Building Consent. 

Please discuss this with a Building Officer by calling free phone 0800 920 029.

If you are not the property owner, you must get written consent from the person who owns the property.  They must confirm that they have given permission for you to operate a food business from this premises.

If you have brought food in the Far North District and:

  • You have found something in your food that should not be there
  • You believe it has made you sick
  • You believe it caused you to have an allergic reaction

You can call us on 0800 920 029 to discuss your experience and make a complaint. Alternatively, you can contact the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) MPI Making a Food Complaint .

If you plan on making changes to your food business registration please notify Council by completing the "Notification of Significant Amendment Form(PDF, 4MB)" and emailing this to .