x__32__fill__social media twitter voice record__64__outline__user profile avatar contact person volume sound users member human speaker record voice recorder speach speak apartment__64__fill__building home house hotel apartment property flat residence

Alcohol licensing


A licence is required to sell or supply alcohol as a business, club or for a special event. To make public places and private venues safer for everyone, there are alcohol bans in some areas of the Far North District.

Licence types

Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol must be undertaken safely and responsibly to minimise alcohol related harm.

If you want to sell alcohol as a business or club (On, Off or Club licence) you need to:

Apply for an alcohol licence

Application forms are available for new businesses, renewals, and temporary alcohol licences.

On-Licence application form

Off-Licence application form

Club licence application form

Renewing existing licences

If you have an alcohol licence and it's nearing its expiry date, you will need to renew it before the expiry date, if you wish to continue selling alcohol.

Renew On-Licence / Off-Licence / Club application form

Temporary licences

If you are taking over an existing business and want to continue selling alcohol you will need to apply for a Temporary Authority. You then have three months to apply for a new Alcohol Licence.

Temporary Authority

Varying your licence conditions

If you want to change a condition of your existing license before your next renewal, you can apply for a variation of conditions on your licence.

Examples of changes to your licence could include:

  • Extending your licensed hours.
  • Adding an outdoor area.
  • Increasing the size of your licensed area.
  • Changing from a restaurant to a tavern.

You will need:

Last updated: 03 Apr 2024 2:53pm