x__32__fill__social media twitter voice record__64__outline__user profile avatar contact person volume sound users member human speaker record voice recorder speach speak apartment__64__fill__building home house hotel apartment property flat residence

Apply for a new alcohol licence

If you are opening a new business and want to sell alcohol or have applied for a Temporary Authority (or intend to apply), you will need to apply for an alcohol licence.

Step 1. Check if other consents are required

You may need resource consent or building consent first.

Resource consent

This considers things like the zone your premises is in, the hours you want to open and the any impact on neighbours.

Building consent

You may need building consent if you are changing the building in anyway, changing the use or increasing the number of visitors.

For new applications you must provide a “Certificate of Compliance – Alcohol" with your application. More information around the Certificate of Compliance – Alcohol, can be found here.

Step 2. Complete your Alcohol Licence application form


An on-licence allows you to sell and supply alcohol for consumption at a specified premise. For example, a bar, restaurant or café.

On-Licence application form


An off-licence allows for the sale, supply or delivery of alcohol for consumption off the premises where it is sold. For example, bottle stores, supermarkets and online stores.

Off-Licence application form

Club licence

A club licence allows for the sale and supply of alcohol for consumption by club members and their guests. For example, sports clubs and social clubs.

Club licence application form

Step 3. Submit your application.

You can submit your application by email, post or in-person.

Step 4. Notifying the public

Once you have submitted your On, Off or Club licence application, you need to notify the public of your application in two ways:

Council will display notification of your application on its website.
Display public notice of application at street frontage/entrance to premises. You can use one of the following forms below:

Step 5.Processing your application

It takes a minimum of six weeks to process On, Off and Club licence applications.

The application is reviewed and reported on by the Alcohol Harm Reduction Officer at the NZ Police (Far North District), Medical Officer of Health at the Northland District Health Board, NZ Fire and Emergency Service (Far North District) and one of our Licensing Inspectors.

If there are any issues or concerns with the application, or it is opposed by a member of the public you will be contacted and advised of a possible public hearing.

If there are no concerns or issues the application is forwarded to the District Licensing Committee to consider.

If your application is granted, we will issue the licence. There are no refunds for declined applications.

Step 6. Your licence is issued

A licence is initially issued for 12 months and then is usually renewed every three years after that.

It is your responsibility to make sure you renew your licence before it expires and to pay the annual fee.

Far North District Council

District Licensing Committee

Attention: Secretary

Private Bag 752

Kaikohe 0440

You can bring your application into one of our customer services centres where you can pay by cash, eftpos or credit card.

You can email your application to ask.us@fndc.govt.nz.

Last updated: 25 Jun 2024 9:19am