The Building Act 2004 (the Act) outlines Council’s responsibilities in respect to enforcing the provisions of the Act and promoting and protecting the public’s health and safety. Council’s role is to educate, monitor and work with building owners, managers and independent qualified persons (IQPs) to ensure that the purposes and principles of the Act are achieved.
Plans and specifications means the drawings, specifications, and other personal documents according to which a building is proposed to be constructed, altered, demolished or removed; and includes the:-
- specified systems that the application for building consent considers will be required to be included in the compliance schedule under section 100; and
- the proposed procedures for inspection and routine maintenance for the purposes of the compliance schedule for those specified systems
Section 45.1 (g)
An application for a building consent must be accompanied by either one of the following:
- if a compliance schedule is required as a result of the building work, a list of all specified systems for the building; or
- if an amendment to an existing compliance schedule is required as a result of the building work, a list of all specified systems that are being:-
- altered in the course of the building work
- added to the building in the course of the building work
- removed from the building in the course of the building work
Section 51.1(c and d)
A building consent or an amendment to a building consent, must state:
- the specified systems that are covered by the compliance schedule, and
- the performance standards for the specified systems that are required by the Building Code
A specified system is a system or feature that is contained within a building for the primary purpose of maintaining health or life safety of building users i.e. fire alarm, sprinkler, mechanical ventilation system, etc.
Requirements for specified systems are set out in the 1st Schedule of the 2005/032 Building (Specified Systems, Change the Use, and Earthquake-prone Buildings) Regulations 2005. Where one or more of these systems exist in a building, a compliance schedule is required.