Creative New Zealand supports more than 1,800 projects every year in New Zealand through the Creative Communities Scheme. The Far North District Council administers the scheme in our District.
Who should apply?
All groups and individuals involved in local arts and cultural projects can apply. By 'arts' we mean any creative practice relating to language, literature, performing arts and visual arts.
To receive funding, your project must meet at least one of these three funding criteria:
- encourage participation – opportunities for local communities to engage with, and participate in, local arts activities
- support diversity – supports diverse artistic cultural traditions of local communities
- enable young people – enable young people (under 18 years) to participate in the arts.
Learn more about the scheme and funding criteria by visiting Creative New Zealand.
What will the scheme pay for?
The Creative Communities Scheme will fund:
- materials for arts activities or programmes
- venue or equipment hire
- personnel and administrative costs for short-term projects
- promotion and publicity of arts activities.
How much can I apply for?
Most successful Creative Communities Scheme applications are for $2000 or less. The Far North District Council receives funding each year from Creative New Zealand based on our population. In 2016, the Far North District was allocated $45,000 by Creative New Zealand. If you want to apply for more than $2,500, contact Creative New Zealand directly on (03) 366 2072 to ask about contestable funding.
If you receive funding you must complete a project report when your project finishes. This details what the funding was spent on. If don’t complete a report, you may be asked to return the funding and will be ineligible to apply for funding from Council for three years.
Project Report form (Word)(DOC, 171KB)
Project Report form (PDF)(PDF, 93KB)
Who makes the decisions?
Decisions on funding are made by the Creative New Zealand Allocation Subcommittee which is made up of:
- Representatives of Community Arts Councils
- Community representatives
- Council representative
Applicants are advised of the outcome shortly after the funding round.
Assessment committee contacts
North Hokianga CAC
c/- Wally Hicks
Ph. 021 051 4294
Pewhairangi BOI CAC
Ph. 09 403 7268
South Hokianga CAC
c/- Peter & Thelma Oldham
Ph. 09 405 4522
Far North District Council
c/- Sally Macauley
Ph. 021 244 3185
c/ - Leona Kenworthy
c/ - Nopera Pikari
Kaikohe Community Arts Council
c/ - John Hayward
Kaitaia Community Arts Service
c/ - Lois Stather-Dunn