Food premises

The Food Act 2014 (The Act) requires all businesses selling food to register, unless they fit into a small group of exemptions.

The Act is a risk-based system of food safety controls.

Find out the food safety rules you need to follow when making or selling food. 

Which risk-based measure is your business?

Your business will be one of the following:

  • Template Food Control Plan
    People who manufacture and prepare food
  • National Programme 3:
    E.g. a dairy that scoops ice cream and bags lollies 
  • National Programme 2:
    E.g. a manufacturer of low-risk food (ice, sauces, spreads) 
  • National Programme 1: 
    E.g. coffee carts 
  • Custom Food Control Plan 
    You must register with Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), not Council.

All food sold or traded must be safe and suitable.
Please ensure your premises meets building and planning requirements before lodging your food registration application form.

Registration, verification and fees

The application process

Step 1.Register

Complete the application form and scope of operations

Payment fee of $180 must accompany your registration application

Step 2.Your Registration Certificate

Your application will be processed and once it has been approved we will then issue a Registration Certificate for your food business. This will be sent to you via email or post.

Step 3.Initial Verification

Within six weeks of registering your food business, an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will contact you to arrange a suitable date and time to carry out initial verification.

After the verification has taken place you will be sent an invoice for the verification. The fee for verification is $515.

National Programme businesses may choose either an independent verifier or Council's verifier to carry out an audit. Either way, you still need to register. 

If you use an independant verifier, please ensure you provide a copy of your contract agreement.

Step 4.Registration Renewal

Food Control Plans are renewed annually, National Programmes bi-annually. We will send you an invoice to renew your registration which must be paid before your registration expiry date. Should your registration lapse, you will be required to re-register.

You will receive your renewed Registration Certificate once payment has been received.

Step 5.Future verifications

You can find out due date for next verification from your EHO or your verification report. You will be invoiced once the verification has been completed.

Step 6.Re-visits

If you require a re-visit, there may be extra fees. Fees include travel time and administration costs.

If your EHO finds problems with your food safety, you will be verified more frequently.

Apply by post

Far North District Council

Attention: Environmental Health Services

Private Bag 752, Memorial Ave

Kaikohe 0440

Apply in person

Your application can be dropped off to any Council Office or Service Centre.

Apply by email

Your application can be sent via email to .

If you are selling food to raise funds, or for charity, it must be safe and suitable. That means, it must be safe to eat - no one should get sick from eating your food.

Under the Act:

You don't have to register if you are selling food:

  • To raise funds for charity, cultural or community groups less than 20 times per year provided by members of sports clubs, social clubs or maraes - where food is not the purpose of the event
  • Once in a calendar year at an event such as a local fair.

You do have to register if you are:

  • Fundraising more than 20 times per year
  • Catering events at clubs, or selling food at club bars or restaurants
  • Bartering or exchanging food commercially selling food commercially at fairs, markets, or community events more than once per year.

If you are making any structural changes to the existing building, you may require a Building Consent. 

Please discuss this with a Building Officer by calling free phone 0800 920 029.

If you are not the property owner, you must get written consent from the person who owns the property.  They must confirm that they have given permission for you to operate a food business from this premises.

If you have brought food in the Far North District and:

  • You have found something in your food that should not be there
  • You believe it has made you sick
  • You believe it caused you to have an allergic reaction

You can call us on 0800 920 029 to discuss your experience and make a complaint. Alternatively, you can contact the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) MPI Making a Food Complaint .