Apply for Manager's Certificate

If you are applying for an On, Off or Club alcohol licence, you must have a certified Duty Manager who has both a Licence Controller Qualification and a Manager’s Certificate. 

Apply for a certificate

To apply for a Manager’s Certificate you must.

  • Have a Licence Controller Qualification.
  • Be 20 years or older.
  • at least six months full-time experience working in a licensed premises selling alcohol in New Zealand.

The application process

Complete application form

Submit a completed Manager's Certificate application form .

You must include the following:

  • A copy of your Licence Controller Qualification
  • Identification (NZ Drivers License/ Passport)
  • Employer reference
  • Character reference (not from your employer or a family member)
  • CV outlining evidence of your work experience (minimum 6 months experience must be demonstrated)
  • Details of any convictions you may have
  • Copy of Work Visa (if applicable)

Pay application fee

An application fee of $316.25 (includes GST) applies.

Fees and charges

Submit application and fee

You can submit your application and application fee by post, email or in person.


Send by post

Applications can be posted to:

Far North District Council

District Licensing Committee

Attention: Secretary

Private Bag 752, Memorial Ave

Kaikohe 0440

Send by email

Send us an email:

Hand in-person

Applications can be dropped off at any Council Office or Service Centre.

Pay by cash, eftpos or credit card.

A certified manager must be on duty at all times when alcohol is being sold or supplied to the public. If the certified manager is ill, absent, dismissed or has resigned, a licensee can formally appoint a temporary or Acting Manager.

You are legally required to give us notice of the appointment, or termination of the appointment, of any manager, Temporary Manager, or Acting Manager. 

Notice must be given within 48 hours of the appointment or termination being made.

It is not necessary to notify us if the appointment will not exceed 48 hours, however it is recommended that such appointments are recorded in a daybook, or log book, along with the reason for the appointment.

Complete a s231 Notice to notify us of the management change.

Form: Notice of Management Change 

You must hold a register (list) of all the certificated managers, acting managers or temporary managers you use at your premises. This must be available for Police or Inspectors to view at all times. You can create your own register or utilise the template available on the website template