Parks, playgrounds and reserves

We maintain around 500 hectares of parks and reserves in over 30 locations throughout the district. These areas are for everyone to enjoy. Many of the parks and reserves also contain playgrounds. These are maintained these to New Zealand and Australian playground standards.

Bay of Islands-Whangaroa Ward


  • BaySport Harmony Lane, Waipapa -
  • Kerikeri Domain, Cobham Road, Kerikeri
  • Keri Sports Complex, 70 Waipapa Road, Waipapa - Dot Dromgool, 027 462 4498
  • Cherry Park House, Waipapa Landing, Kerikeri
  • Rolands Wood, Kerikeri Inlet Road, Kerikeri
  • Rangitane Reserve, Rangitane Loop Road, Kerikeri
  • Skudders Beach Reserve, Skudders Beach Road, Kerikeri
  • Cannon Drive Reserve, Cannon Drive, Kerikeri
  • Fairy Pools Reserve, Kerikeri Road, Kerikeri
  • Lake Manawai, Sandys Road, Waipapa – Kapiro


English Bay Road Reserve, English Bay Road, Opua


  • Long Beach (Toilet area), Long Beach, Russell
  • Village Green, The Strand - Yorke Street, Russell
  • Tapeka Point Reserve, Tapeka Point, Russell


  • Village Green, Marsden Road, Paihia - Focus Paihia
  • Ti Beach, from Waitangi end of Puketona Road along Marsden Road - through to Seaview Road, Paihia
  • Flagstaff Hill, Seaview Rd, Paihia 
  • Bledisloe Domain, Haruru Falls Rd, Haruru Falls
  • Lily Pond, Black Bridge Rd (State Highway 11), Haruru Falls
  • Spinnaker Point Reserve, Watea, Haruru Falls.


  • Turner Street Reserve, State Highway 10, Kaeo
  • Marlin Reserve Whangaroa Road, Whangaroa
  • Tauranga Bay Reserve, Tauranga Bay Road, Kaeo
  • Ratcliffes Bay Reserve, Whangaroa
  • Te Ngaere Bay Reserve, Wainui Road, Kaeo

Kawakawa, Moerewa

  • Johnson Park, State Highway 11, Kawakawa
  • Church Street Reserve Church Street, Kawakawa
  • Nisbet Park, Cnr State Highway 1 and Pembroke Street, Moerewa
  • Taumatamakuku Reserve, Taumatamakuku Settlement Road, Moerewa
  • Simson Park, Station Road, Moerewa

Kaikohe-Hokianga Ward

Kaikohe, Ohaeawai, Okaihau

  • Taheke Road, Rest Area - Entrance to Cycleway, State Highway 12, Kaikohe
  • Reed Park, Park Road, Kaikohe
  • Rawiri Taiwhanga Park, Guys Road, Kaikohe
  • Kowhai Reserve (Log Cabin Reserve), Broadway, Kaikohe
  • Brako's Reserve, Broadway, Kaikohe
  • Library Square, Marino Court, Kaikohe
  • Lindvart Park, Penny Crescent, Kaikohe - Cheryl Smith 027 434 3417
  • Central Ground Penny Crescent, Kaikohe
  • Memorial Park  Memorial Drive, Kaikohe
  • Dress Circle, Broadway, Kaikohe
  • Te Corner, State Highway 1, Ohaeawai
  • Two Ponga Park, State Highway 1, Okaihau


  • Rawene Domain Clendon Esplanade, Rawene
  • Freese Park State Highway 12, Omapere
  • i-SITE Picnic Ground,29 Harbourview Drive (SH12), Opononi
  • Kohukohu Wharf Reserve, Kohukohu Road, Kohukohu

Te Hiku Ward

Kaitaia, Awanui, Ahipara

  • Centennial Park, Commerce Street, Kaitaia
  • Memorial Park, Memorial Drive, Kaitaia
  • Remembrance Park, Cnr Melba St and Matthews Ave, Kaitaia
  • South Road, South Road - State Highway 1, Kaitaia
  • Centre Park, South Road, Kaitaia
  • Matthews Park, Matthews Ave, Kaitaia
  • Parkdale Reserve, Parkdale Crescent, Kaitaia
  • Foreshore Road Reserve, Foreshore Road, Ahipara
  • Korora Park, Korora Road, Ahipara
  • Houhora Heads Reserve, Houhora Heads Rd, Houhora
  • Awanui Reserve, State Highway 10, Awanui

Mangonui, Doubtless Bay

  • Mangonui Reclamation Waterfront Drive
  • Hihi Reserve, Marchant Road, Hihi
  • Cable Bay Reserve, State Highway 10, Cable Bay
  • Coopers Beach Reserve, State Highway 10, Coopers Beach
  • Perehipe Reserve, Perehipe Rd, Karikari Peninsula
  • Taupo Bay Reserve, Marlin Drive, Taupo Bay
  • Taipa Point Reserve, Taipa Point Road, Taipa 

Special events in parks or reserves

Planning a sports day, wedding or fundraiser on a Council reserve? We can help make it a success.

Holding an event?

We can make sure no other event is planned at the same time and will ensure the venue is clean and tidy with recycling bins supplied if required.  We will also advise you on whether you need to apply for special consents or licences, such as a liquor licence or mobile shop licence, and whether you need to apply for road closures.

Some events will require a permit to use a reserve and traffic controls. These include:

  • cycle races
  • car events
  • running races
  • street fairs
  • protest marches
  • parades
  • large fun, ride or walks.

Applying for a permit to use a reserve is free and we will tell you about rules you need to follow when you receive your permit.

Download the application form(PDF, 270KB) or you can ask our Customer Service staff for one.

Paihia Village Green

Want to use the Paihia Village Green? Please contact Focus Paihia. Focus Paihia.

Camping in a park or reserve

Camping is not permitted in any Far North District Council parks.

Please contact us to report campers in a park or reserve.

Can I take my own BBQ to the park?

You may only use gas BBQs at Council parks and reserves. Permanent gas-fuelled BBQs are also available for public use at the Stone Store Basin in Kerikeri and adjacent to the Swordfish Club and public toilets at Pukenui.

Sports in parks or reserves

For the safety of other park users we do not permit golf or paintball to be played in park and reserves. Driving vehicles and horse riding are also not permitted.

Some other sports have specific rules about where and when they can played. Council signs at each park or reserve will have those details.

If you consider that people playing sports are disorderly or dangerous and you wish to complain, please contact the Council using our normal contact details.

If you would like to use a park or reserve for organised events such as a sports day or fund raiser, please look at the information we have provided about applying to hold an event on a Council Reserve

Skateboard and BMX ramps

There are skateboard and BMX ramps at the following parks:

  • Centennial Park, Kaitaia
  • Memorial Park, Kaikohe
  • Kerikeri Domain, Kerikeri

Access to private property

Using a park or reserve to access private property

You can request to use a park or reserve to access a property to undertake temporary work, such as felling trees, laying pipes and so on. Please send your request to and include the following information:

  • Which park/reserve you need access to
  • Why you need access
  • What type of work is being done
  • When the work will be done
  • Where you will access the park.

Last updated 13 December 2021