Te Whakatupuranga Hapori
Empowered communities are thriving communities. Council has adopted a Community Development Framework to better articulate its role in community development and identify how it aims to work with communities, government agencies and non-government organisations to build strong, resilient communities.
Vision: Te Whakatupuranga Hapori – Communities growing and thriving
Mission: Manaaki Tangata, Tiaki Taiao – Supporting our places and people to thrive
The word hapori refers to people providing/receiving a service. Whakatupuranga refers to the act of placing a kakano/seed into 'te pito o te whenua', which literally describes its point of creation, followed by the act of nurturing and shaping the seed through its stages of growth towards full maturity.
What we do
- Build and strengthen internal and external relationships.
- Increase opportunities for communities to determine the things they care about.
- Provide opportunities for meaningful engagement and participation in public and community life.
- Empower communities to design, prioritise and deliver local initiatives.
- Support community groups to lead their communities.
- Work with government agencies, non-government organisations and community leaders to create connections, maximise collective potential to contribute, and improve community wellbeing.
Community development initiatives
Last updated 28 May 2021