Te Whakatupuranga Hapori
Empowered communities are thriving communities. Council has adopted a Community Development Framework to better articulate its role in community development and identify how it aims to work with communities, government agencies and non-government organisations to build strong, resilient communities.
Vision: Te Whakatupuranga Hapori – Communities growing and thriving
Mission: Manaaki Tangata, Tiaki Taiao – Supporting our places and people to thrive
The word hapori refers to people providing/receiving a service. Whakatupuranga refers to the act of placing a kakano/seed into 'te pito o te whenua', which literally describes its point of creation, followed by the act of nurturing and shaping the seed through its stages of growth towards full maturity.
What we do
- Build and strengthen internal and external relationships.
- Increase opportunities for communities to determine the things they care about.
- Provide opportunities for meaningful engagement and participation in public and community life.
- Empower communities to design, prioritise and deliver local initiatives.
- Support community groups to lead their communities.
- Work with government agencies, non-government organisations and community leaders to create connections, maximise collective potential to contribute, and improve community wellbeing.
Community development initiatives
Last updated 28 May 2021
If you have an urgent enquiry you can phone 0800 920 029 or 09 401 5200, you can also lodge a request online at my.fndc.govt.nz.